Warning: there may be occasional oddness due to css and blog edits. **KNOWN ISSUE: possible hidden text**

Thursday, December 17, 2020

So long and thanks for all the fetchs

No sooner than my blog post about the retirement of svn in lieu of git becomes popular, do I hear of another transition.  I guess I should count myself lucky that poudriere is not planned to be obsolete in a month.  It is even more obvious that I am quite out of the loop with regard to these sorts of changes but as both are rather significant one would believe that there would be a bit more noise about them.  I frequently read the quarterly FreeBSD reports but do not recall either transition being mentioned.  Did you know that portsnap was set to be retired?  There was a mailing list mention in August, and a FreeBSD forum mention once upon a time.

Portsnap always felt speedy and efficient.  It has served me well.  Now I will have to move poudriere back to svn, revise my little ports tree update script back to svn, and look into git or svnup or other tools to see which works best for me.  Thanks to Jailer and his post for helping me to discover that I have to retire portsnap.  I need to find the appropriate retirement schedule for it.  The other issue I have run into on my system is the difference between what I was receiving from portsnap in comparison to svn.  I might guess now that portsnap was older but that depends upon various settings for which branch/version of the ports tree each tool downloaded.  I will also eventually be revising some other blog posts to indicate my chosen alternative to portsnap.  For now, the forum post below may give some ideas on what I might try.

What I have discovered since then is that there is a reasonably simplified tool which can handle both ports tree updates whether quarterly or not, as well as the source for kernel and world updates.  As I mention in another blog post, net/gitup was most certainly a tool without fanfare and it is what I have chosen for keeping my ports tree up-to-date outside of my poudriere jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest!

Frequently viewed this week